Monday, 31 August 2009

Ready to set sail

Tomorrow I start the sailing course down on the Helford organised by the HRCST along with my girlfriend, Katy. I visited the charity a couple of weeks ago and said I wanted to return to run the course myself.

We are really looking forward to it. We have just got back from a few days break in North Wales near Snowdonia. While there we got in a bit of practice by trying our hand at wind surfing (in my case for the first time in over 20 years)on Lake Vyrnwy. A shaky start to say the least but I did make some progress, although I am not sure how much it will help me tomorrow!

It is also time to start planning the campaign for the next few months. We have had a busy time with the local elections and then the Camborne Town Council by -elections. It was great to see Stuart Odgers elected in Camborne South, he will make a fantastic councillor.

Realistically, we are now in the final 8 months before a General Election and the time will fly. We have made a strong start in the last 8 months but there is more to do. One of the things we need to do is work out what the main themes in the local campaign are likely to be. Cost of living? housing? social breakdown? economy? unemployment?

The issue of MPs expenses dominated the summer and has been getting less attention lately. But the local Lib Dem MP has just appointed a new Campaign Agent and he has apparently decided to re-ignite the issue and make attacks on other politician's expenses a central plank of her campaign. A curious decision given her own record.