Sunday, 9 May 2010

Thank you...and now to work

It was a tense night at the count. We all knew it was close and spent the final day reminding people that the Conservatives and Lib Dems were "neck and neck" in this seat. But I don't think any of us expected it to be quite so close. In the end just 66 votes between us. We won fairly comfortably on the ballot boxes from polling day but the Lib Dems had done surprisingly well at getting together postal votes.

Camborne, Redruth and Hayle certainly lived up to its reputation for being a marginal seat.

With the election over, I want to pay tribute to the other candidates who took part in this election. It is sometimes easy to forget that our democracy depends on unpaid volunteers who are willing to give up their time to deliver leaflets and campaign for the party they believe in.

But most of all I want to thank everyone who put their faith in me and especially those who helped me. I will do my utmost to ensure that this part of Cornwall gets its voice heard and I will also represent everyone, regardless of whether they voted for me or not.

I will be holding regular surgeries so, if you need any help, then please get in touch. You can contact me by email at: george.eustice.mp@parliament.uk or by post at: The House of Commons, LONDON, SW1A 0AA.

I look forward to hearing from you.