Saturday, 12 September 2009

Delivering the message

It has been a weekend of walking. Last Saturday we had another campaign day to prepare the next major direct mail operation and to deliver our latest piece of literature – a newspaper. We managed to make a big impact in the first week, especially in Hayle, but there is more to do.

On Thursday I spent time in St Day, on Friday I joined the team in Stithians and the surrounding hamlets where we made very good progress before making a start in Mount Hawke in the afternoon. I finished today by joining the Illogan campaign team and helping them make inroads into Pool.

It left me enough time to pop in to Camborne town square to meet Sue Winter and the other volunteers from the Trevu campaign. They have worked tirelessly to keep the children’s centre going and were collecting signatures today.

I have been closely following this case. Last November, the previous Lib Dem council decided to shut down the centre at Trevu without any consultation. Time is very tight, but the new administration at Cornwall Council has re-opened the decision and started a genuine consultation process. There has been a lot of media speculation about what might or might not happen. Conservative councillors have been working very hard on the case. In the next few weeks we will see whether they have managed to reverse the decision of the old regime at the 11th hour.

I have also been trying to keep up the training. It is now just three weeks until my marathon. Last Sunday I ran 18 miles which went surprisingly well and I managed to get around in 2 hours 25 minutes and felt that I could have done further. This week has not been so good. I have been suffering from a cold since Wednesday and when I tried to get another 16 miles under the belt on Thursday, the combination of a bad cold and the heat of an unusually fine day took its toll.

But tomorrow I have my first race - a dry run. A 10k race along the banks of the Thames back in Kew in aid of the local church. I am hoping the cold will have eased enough for me to get around in a half reasonable time. But we will see.