Saturday, 25 July 2009

Increasing the pace

I started the day with another training session at Treslothan with Ted Williams at 9am. I have made some progress in the last two weeks. Last time my times for each lap were averaging 7 minutes 20 and today I had got them down to 6.30 which is a good step forward. I am now running six times a week and the training seems to be back on track. But I only really have two months until the marathon.

Next up, was a Cornish Fayre at Camborne Church organised by Mike Firbank. Mike has been heavily involved with the Camborne Street Pastors idea and I met him earlier this year at the launch of that project. It was good to have the chance to discuss progress with him. They have now trained more street pastors and have continued to go out every Friday and are getting more young people involved.

Later that afternoon, it was time for a trip down to the south of the constituency to Trebah Gardens where Clare Vickers is head of marketing. I have known Clare for a number of years and her husband Johnny even longer. A few weeks ago I bumped into them both at Truro and said I would make a visit before the summer was out.

Cornwall’s gardens are now an important visitor attraction and the best of them are in the Camborne and Redruth constituency. Trebah attracts around 100,000 visitors a year. While there I met Nigel Burnett, the Director at Trebah. The bad weather last year was a blow to the tourism industry in Cornwall but this year visitor numbers are up a bit and the weather, while unsettled recently, has generally been a bit better, especially in the spring and early summer. The famous hydrangea gardens were spectacular today. No surprise that people keep coming back here!

We finish the day with a dinner at Illogan. Mary Grigg has been a strong supporter of the association for many years and organises an annual supper for both supporters and people interested to hear more. Last year she had around 50 people attending but this year that had climbed to 80. As we move into a general election year, people are starting to think about politics more and there is a growing appetite for change.