Thursday, 30 July 2009

a long day

I arrived in Camborne on the sleeper train at 7.30 am. My father has a meeting in London today and so we arranged to meet at 7.45 at the station and then I would drive the car back. It has been pretty miserable weather the last couple of days. It is still raining this morning but I had time for a coffee in the new cafe that has recently re-opened on the station.

George Le Hunte has lived in Cornwall most of his life and worked for Holmans for many years. Today he is the Chairman of Camborne Chamber of Commerce and it is my first meeting of the day. Tomorrow Camborne is launching a new fortnightly market in the town square which is supported by the Chamber. We also discuss the regeneration of the area and the steps needed to try to get some new retailers in Camborne to help draw in more people.

I spend the afternoon in Stithians knocking on doors to discuss local concerns with residents. We did well in Stithians in the local elections. Although an independent councillor won in the end, Mary Sheppard pulled in a lot of votes and put us on a solid footing for the General Election. When out canvassing it is not often you get invited inside for a chat but today it happened twice. I think we could do well here.

Later today, it was time to get my running kit on again. The RNLI have organised a fundraising 10k race on the sand down at Hayle. Ted Williams thought it was about time to start some races in preparation for the marathon and where better to start than Hayle beach. After a strong start, I languished for a couple of miles in the middle before getting it together again and crossing the finishing line in 43 minutes which is not bad for 10k on wet sand but much slower than I used to manage!