Saturday, 24 January 2009

A visit to Pirate FM

Yesterday I popped in to see the team at Pirate FM at Pool. Tristan, the Head of News, gave me a guided tour. Pirate FM started back in 1992. I can remember when it launched. The critics said that a commercial station wouldn't be able to survive in Cornwall but they were proved completely wrong. In fact Pirate FM very quickly established itself as the model to follow in commercial radio. It has the biggest audience of any radio station in Cornwall and a very loyal following locally. This is a team that relishes a challenge.

Before leaving I also had time to catch up with Neil Caddy who is one of the DJs on the afternoon slot. I hadn't seen him for over ten years. Neil and I both used to run for Cornwall Athletic Club and trained together for a while - although he went on to achieve bigger things than me in the athletics world and ran for England.