Thursday, 24 December 2015

Christmas

Christmas is fast approaching and I have been taking stock of what has been accomplished in the constituency since May and what more needs to be done in the New Year. 

One of my pledges at the General Election was that I would protect our green areas and I have spent the last few months opposing a planning application to build over 200 houses near St George’s Road in Hayle. This was an unpopular development in the community which is why I was pleased Cornwall Council chose to reject it. 

I have also been working to make sure Cornwall gets its fair share of funding and have worked with our Police and Crime Commissioner to persuade the Government not to implement a formula that would have disadvantaged Devon and Cornwall Police. I am pleased the Government have listened to these concerns as it means that our community policing can now be safeguarded.

In other news, the East-West Link Road finally opened in November. I lobbied hard in the last Parliament to secure funding from Government for this important project. It hasn’t always been smooth sailing, and there were a number of challenges during construction, but it is really great to finally see this project, which will create hundreds of new jobs and open up derelict mining land for development, finally come to fruition.

I am also now working on a number of new projects to benefit the constituency. One such plan is to change the law so people whose houses experience subsidence due to old tin mining works receive compensation in the same way that people whose properties are affected by old coal pits are supported by the Coal Authority. This is an old problem (Seb Coe even asked a question in Parliament about this issue back in 1992) and I have already spoken with the Coal Authority about extending their remit to cover people in Cornwall. 

I wish everyone in Camborne, Redruth and Hayle a Happy Christmas and a prosperous New Year.