Tuesday, 22 February 2011

From now on, I will refer to everyone as "Tremough"

In the summer of 2009, I organised a national conference on marine energy which we held at the Tremough campus. The building in which we were holding it had a plaque on the wall which said, "Camborne School of Mines" and so that was what we put on the invites. It soon became clear that we had committed some faux pas and this had offended people at Tremough because apparently the wave power work was being done partly by Exeter University. On several times since I have inadvertently managed to forget to mention some partner or other in the labyrinth that is the Combined Universities for Cornwall.

Last week in my speech to parliament, I decided to hedge my bets and mention both Camborne School of Mines and Exeter University. It turns out that I should have mentioned Plymouth University who also have a leading role in the venture.

The CuC project has been a great success and it is great to have it all in the Camborne and Redruth constituency. But I think from now on I will do my bit for clarity by describing all of them simply as, "the university at Tremough." Hopefully that will not cause offence!