Friday, 4 December 2009

Music at Treleigh

The last time I was at Treleigh Church was for the wedding of my cousin. His wife, Debbie, was a teacher at Treleigh School.

I have kept in touch with the work of Searchlight since I met them in Redruth earlier this year and receive their weekly update. Tonight the Searchlight team were giving a performance at Treleigh Church in Redruth along with many others.

The inspiration behind tonight’s event is Kirsty Rowe, a local music tutor who has taught many of those performing. She is raising money for Cornwall Hospice Care. I recognised a couple of the Searchlight team who kicked off the performance. Aaron had been at the first meeting I attended and tonight gave a very impressive performance of “I dreamed a dream” from Les Miserables. Also singing as part of the group tonight was Deanne who, last time I visited, was teaching the younger children in Searchlight about ballet.
There were many performances and all the local schools were involved. Two boys from Hayle School took on the task of Queen’s “Bohemian Rhapsody” – a tough challenge but excellently delivered! And there were others, like Sarah, with less natural confidence but who had grown considerably in ability since first approaching Kirsty for singing lessons.

This is one of many Christmas musical events...and tomorrow we have the Christmas lights at Camborne.